Chicago Bears position-kicker Cody Parkey skipped 10 kicks during the normal season. 5 of them hit an upright.
With 10 seconds to enjoy, the former Auburn standout confronted a 43-property discipline-purpose endeavor that would raise the Bears previous the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFL playoffs on Sunday. And it transpired all over again. Parkey’s kick hit the still left upright, then struck the crossbar in advance of bouncing back on to the discipline.
The skipped kick permitted the Eagles to escape with a 16-15 victory in Chicago.
In Sunday’s other NFL playoff recreation, the Los Angeles Chargers defeated the Baltimore Ravens 23-17.
Parkey related on discipline ambitions of 36 and 29 yards in the very first half — the latter as time ran out in the second quarter — and hit a 34-yarder with 14:13 still left in the recreation that reduce the Eagles’ direct to 10-9.
Following Chicago took the direct on a 22-property touchdown pass from Mitch Trubisky to Allen Robinson with 9:04 to enjoy (but failed to get the 2-position conversion), quarterback Nick Foles rallied the defending Super Bowl winner. He hit Golden Tate with a 2-property TD throw on fourth down with 56 seconds to enjoy. A failed 2-position conversion still left Philadelphia with a a person-position direct.
A 35-property kickoff return and completions for 25 and 8 yards put Chicago in posture for Parkey’s discipline-purpose endeavor — and he designed the kick, whilst it failed to depend simply because it arrived immediately after the Eagles experienced termed timeout. His second kick failed to go as very well.
Parkey was a person of 6 gamers from Alabama superior universities and faculties on the active rosters of the Eagles and the Bears:
· Jordan Howard (Gardendale, UAB) begun at operating back for the Bears and rushed for 35 yards on 10 carries.
· Bears protection Eddie Jackson (Alabama) did not enjoy, whilst he was dressed for the recreation. The 2018 All-Pro collection skipped the ultimate two online games of the normal season simply because of an ankle injuries and returned to exercise final week as a restricted participant. But Chicago never termed on him on Sunday.
· Eagles huge receiver Jordan Matthews (Madison Academy) performed but did not report any stats.
· Eagles guard Likelihood Warmack (Alabama) was specified as inactive.
· Bears defensive deal with Nick Williams (Small, Samford) was specified as inactive.
Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers threw a touchdown pass in each and every recreation during the 2018 normal season except a person — a 22-10 decline to the Ravens on Dec. 22. On Sunday, Rivers all over again failed to throw for a TD against Baltimore.
But this time, Los Angeles posted a 6-position win as the former Athens Large School standout managed the offense into posture for five discipline ambitions and a fourth-down touchdown when the Chargers defense smothered Baltimore till late in the recreation.
Rivers done 22-of-32 passes for 160 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions. He also done a 2-position conversion pass that gave the Chargers a 20-3 direct 16 seconds into the fourth quarter.
Rivers, who ran for 7 yards on 18 carries during the normal season, experienced 15 yards on a few rushing tries against the Ravens. He equaled his longest operate during the normal season with a 7-yarder, then ran 9 yards for a very first down — his longest hurry considering that 2016.
For the reason that passing yards in the NFL include things like sacks, Baltimore entered the fourth quarter with minus-1 passing property for the recreation, but Ravens QB Lamar Jackson arrived by way of with touchdown passes to huge receiver Michael Crabtree with 6:33 and 1:59 to enjoy to make it a recreation.
Baltimore bought the ball back with 45 seconds to enjoy, but the Ravens shed a fumble — their third turnover — to conclude their season.
Rivers was a person of the 14 gamers from Alabama superior universities and faculties on the active rosters of the Chargers and Ravens:
· Ravens cornerback Anthony Averett (Alabama) designed a person exclusive-teams deal with.
· Ravens middle Bradley Bozeman (Handley, Alabama) performed but failed to report any stats.
· Marlon Humphrey (Hoover, Alabama) begun at correct cornerback for the Ravens. He designed a person deal with and broke up a person pass. Humphrey ran from conclude zone to conclude zone immediately after recovering a free football that was termed a touchdown for the Chargers on the discipline and transformed immediately after movie evaluation to the ball-carrier getting down by call brief of the purpose line.
· Ravens cornerback Cyrus Jones (Alabama) performed but failed to report any stats. Jones was deep for five Los Angeles punts. Two went out of bounds, two ended up downed and a person went for a touchback.
· Chargers defensive deal with Anthony Lanier (Alabama A&M) was specified as inactive.
· C.J. Mosley (Theodore, Alabama) begun at center linebacker for the Ravens. Mosley designed a team-primary 11 tackles. He also recovered a fumble and returned the football 12 yards to the Los Angeles 21-property line, which Baltimore’s offense turned into a discipline purpose for its very first details of the recreation.
· Chargers defensive deal with Darius Philon (Vigor) designed a deal with driving the line of scrimmage.
· Ravens defensive deal with Michael Pierce (Daphne, Samford) recorded two tackles.
· Chargers operating back Troymaine Pope (Anniston, Jacksonville Condition) was specified as inactive.
· Chargers offensive deal with Trent Scott (Lee-Huntsville) performed but did not register any stats.
· Za’Darius Smith (Greenville) begun at strongside linebacker for the Ravens. He designed a person deal with and blocked a discipline-purpose endeavor in the third quarter.
· Ravens outdoors linebacker Tim Williams (Alabama) was specified as inactive.
The Chargers advance to enjoy the New England Patriots at 12:05 p.m. CST Sunday.
Los Angeles tied for the finest report in the AFC at 12-4 during the normal season, but it shed a tie-breaker to the Kansas Town Chiefs for the AFC West winner’s spot in the postseason. That put the Chargers on the road for the playoffs when the Chiefs received a bye and will deal with the Indianapolis Colts at 3:35 p.m. Saturday.
Indianapolis defeated the Houston Texans 21-7 on Saturday as both equally wild-card teams defeated division winners on the very first weekend of the AFC playoffs.
In the NFC, the Eagles gained as a wild-card team and will enjoy the top rated-seeded New Orleans Saints at 3:40 p.m. Sunday. Saturday’s NFC winner, the Dallas Cowboys, who topped the Seattle Seahawks 24-22, go to the second-seeded Los Angeles Rams at 7:15 p.m. Saturday.
Mark Inabinett is a sporting activities reporter for Alabama Media Team. Comply with him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.